Thursday, February 5, 2009

Say What You Mean & Do What You Say

February 6th, 2009


Say what you mean and do what you say … touched and inspired by words of support.


("Everyone can shave a little if they have to...")

Just prior to Christmas 2008 we held special Colleague forums at ACH. Usually, every month for the last 12 years, I have held communication forums through which I update the staff and anyone who works or volunteers at the hospital can ask me questions.



The intent of this special forum was for me to ask people to be conservative in their personal spending as well as watch our hospital expenses. I wanted to share my concerns that 2009 and 2010 may be tough years as we try and turn our economy around. I really didn’t want to have layoffs in the future and wanted to let everyone know that we may need to take actions that would affect people’s incomes, in order to keep Colleagues employed through the tough times ahead.



Personally I told them --as a leader who might be asking them to take time off each month (without pay)-- that I would begin January 1st by voluntarily reducing my income by just under 7%.



We will watch our monthly performance and I will first ask management to take off one day per month. I will give them 30 days notice of putting that into effect. I wanted all staff members to know that leadership needed to step up.



The above is just one example of what we may have to do in 2009. I also stressed that this is a great time of opportunity for us, as well, because of the culture in our organization and the way we practice. We need to be thankful for every time a patient or customer chooses us and puts their faith in our hands with regard to their healthcare needs.



Several weeks after this presentation I was deeply touched by a message I received from one of our Colleagues. They told me they appreciated my actions and they, too, wanted to help. This Colleague makes around $20,000 per year and told me that "everyone can shave a little here and there if they have to," so they wanted to give back $50/month. They said how very much they appreciated their job here and felt they needed to help. too. I told them when the time comes I will take them up on their offer but for the time being, hold off.


As I was writing this blog today I was interrupted by a call from one of our outpatient guests…more to come tomorrow.


Stan

No comments: