Monday, January 21, 2008

As promised, here’s some closure to my last Blog

After hearing from our candidates, I must say I was encouraged. Although I am personally not a fan of Dennis Kucinich’s all-public governmental approach to healthcare and the elimination of all for-profit healthcare entities, he spoke well and was much more likeable than I had expected.

Mitt Romney has already shown he can make change happen. Even if Massachusetts isn’t the perfect approach, you have to start somewhere. Of course, it would be nice to know in advance where we are going to end up before we begin our journey and Romney seems to at least have a plan. I was impressed because he was the only candidate that actually asked for my vote.

John McCain’s free market approach is one I usually prefer, but you need a level playing field in healthcare and in my opinion, we, like the government, need a lot more checks and balances.

John Edwards was certainly the most likeable of those present. His accent sounded more Cantonese than southern and his story about encouraging his daughter to attend Mt.Union College instead of Harvard University was perhaps one of the lighter moments of the day - and it was very well-received by the audience.

Not to be out done, Barack Obama showed a sense of humor as soon as he entered the room by asking the crowd, "Can you smell it in the air? Change is coming and much of it is good. Out with the bad odor of stagnant old time politics; in with the good. BO is for Barack Obama and I want to be leading the good changes that we need.”

Our audiences voted only on the merits of each of the candidates’ healthcare platforms.
Hilary and Obama combined for about 32 %( 16% each) of the vote. John McCain and Mitt received the most Republican interest with 23% and 18%, respectively.

My hope is that whoever is elected will implement the best ideas of all the candidates, in order to actually change the system -- even if those ideas came from former competitors.

Talk with you soon.
Stan

No comments: